Joy's essays, columns, and articles have appeared in numerous publications, including the Star Tribune, Minnesota Parent, Minnesota Monthly, Minnesota Good Age, StoryNews, BLUNTmoms, Grown and Flown, Topology Magazine, Peacock Journal, Mamalode, Great Moments in Parenting, AAA Living, Viking Magazine, the Carleton College Voice, Minnesota Law & Politics, the Des Moines Register, the Indianapolis News, and the Better Homes and Gardens publications Beautiful New Homes and Building Ideas.
Past and present clients include: • SERC, The Science Education Resource Center at Carleton College • the Northfield Historical Society • the Northfield Healthy Community Initiative • the Carleton College Voice • the Vintage Band Festival • NorthfieldHistorical • the Northfield Youth Choirs
• Joy was the guest on the Wayne Eddy Affair on KYMN Radio, Joy Riggs, Aug. 15, 2019.
• Open Line on KXRA Radio, Voice of Alexandria, Aug. 9, 2019
• ArtZany! Radio with Paula Granquist, KYMN, Northfield Garden Club Tour and Author Joy Riggs, July 11, 2019
• ArtZany! Radio with Paula Granquist, KYMN, Writers Joy Riggs and Rob Hardy, January 20, 2017
• Deep in Bear Country; a Berenstain Bearcast, Episode 57: the Week at Grandma’s, July 2, 2016
• This Northfield Life with Brad Ness and Corey Butler, Joy Riggs interview, October 14, 2015
• Society of Professional Journalists • the Minnesota SPJ Pro Chapter • the Association of Writers and Writing Programs • the Loft Literary Center • the Historic Brass Society
• Joy serves on the board of the Vintage Band Festival, a nonprofit group that organizes a four-day international vintage music festival in Northfield every three years and a one-day festival featuring all-Minnesota bands in the intervening years. The next one-day festival is set for August 1, 2020.
• Joy serves on the board of the Northfield Historical Society.
• Joy is a past president of the Northfield Fine Arts Boosters, a nonprofit volunteer group that works to promote and support fine arts programs in the Northfield Public Schools. She served on the Northfield Youth Choirs board from 2008-2014 and on the Northfield Healthy Community Initiative board from 2003-2013.
• Sept. 26, 2019 (Minnetonka, Minn.): Joy will read from and discuss her book from 7-9 p.m. at the Adath Jeshurun Congregation in Minnetonka.
• Sept. 29, 2019 (Des Moines, Iowa): Joy will discuss and sign copies of her book from 1 to 3 p.m at Beaverdale Books in Des Moines.
• Oct. 5, 2019 (Mankato, Minn.): Joy will sell and sign copies of her book from 10 a.m. t0 4 p.m. at the Deep Valley Book Festival in Mankato
• Oct.9, 2019 (St. Cloud, Minn.): Joy will discuss her new book and her research process at the Stearns History Museum, 9-10 a.m. The Breakfast Club event is free for museum members and $7 for non-members.
• Oct. 19, 2019 (La Crosse, Wis.): Joy will discuss her book and the importance of music education, 2-3 p.m. at Leithold Music in downtown La Crosse.
• Nov. 6, 2019 (Duluth, Minn.): Joy will sign books from 3-5 p.m. at Zenith Bookstore in Duluth.
• Dec. 12, 2019 (Northfield, Minn.): Joy will sign books at the Northfield Historical Society from 5 to 8 p.m. during Winter Walk.
Joy received numerous awards for the teen and tween column she wrote for Minnesota Parent magazine for five years: • First place, Best Magazine Column, 2013 Minnesota Society of Professional Journalists Page One Awards • Gold award, Family Matters Column, Parenting Media Association's 2013 Editorial Competition • Second place, Family Matters Column, Parenting Media Association’s 2011 Editorial Competition • Silver award, Best Magazine Column, Minnesota Magazine & Publishing Association’s Excellence Awards, 2013 • Second place, Best Magazine Column, 2010 Minnesota SPJ Page One Awards • Bronze award, Best Magazine Column, Minnesota Magazine & Publishing Association’s Excellence Awards, 2011 and 2010 • Third place, Best Magazine Column, 2014 Minnesota SPJ Page One Awards • Finalist, Family Matters Column, Parenting Media Association's 2012 Editorial Competition