Joy is an award-winning writer and editor based in Northfield, Minnesota, a quaint and historic two-college town located 50 miles south of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
She specializes in writing about history, parenting, and travel.
Joy received a 2015 emerging artist grant from the Southeastern Minnesota Arts Council (SEMAC). She is writing a book of memoir and history about the extraordinary exploits of her great-grandfather, a pioneering Minnesota band director.
She writes about her family's adventures in making and appreciating music at mymusicalfamily.blogspot.com.
Joy's essays, columns, and articles have appeared in numerous publications, including the Star Tribune, Minnesota Parent, Minnesota Monthly, Minnesota Good Age, BLUNTmoms, Grown and Flown, Topology Magazine, Peacock Journal, Mamalode, Great Moments in Parenting, AAA Living, Viking Magazine, the Carleton College Voice, Minnesota Law & Politics, the Des Moines Register, the Indianapolis News, and the Better Homes and Gardens publications Beautiful New Homes and Building Ideas.
Past and present clients include: • SERC, The Science Education Resource Center at Carleton College • the Northfield Historical Society • the Northfield Healthy Community Initiative • the Carleton College Voice • the Vintage Band Festival • NorthfieldHistorical • the Northfield Youth Choirs
• ArtZany! Radio with Paula Granquist, KYMN, Writers Joy Riggs and Rob Hardy, January 20, 2017
• Deep in Bear Country; a Berenstain Bearcast, Episode 57: the Week at Grandma’s, July 2, 2016
• This Northfield Life with Brad Ness and Corey Butler, Joy Riggs interview, October 14, 2015
• Society of Professional Journalists • the Minnesota SPJ Pro Chapter • the Association of Writers and Writing Programs • the Loft Literary Center • Write On Mamas
• Joy serves on the board of the Vintage Band Festival, a nonprofit group that organizes a four-day international vintage music festival in Northfield every three years. The next one is set for August 1-4, 2019.
• Joy serves on the board of the Northfield Historical Society.
• Joy is a past president of the Northfield Fine Arts Boosters, a nonprofit volunteer group that works to promote and support fine arts programs in the Northfield Public Schools. She served on the Northfield Youth Choirs board from 2008-2014 and on the Northfield Healthy Community Initiative board from 2003-2013.
Joy received numerous awards for the teen and tween column she wrote for Minnesota Parent magazine for five years: • First place, Best Magazine Column, 2013 Minnesota Society of Professional Journalists Page One Awards • Gold award, Family Matters Column, Parenting Media Association's 2013 Editorial Competition • Second place, Family Matters Column, Parenting Media Association’s 2011 Editorial Competition • Silver award, Best Magazine Column, Minnesota Magazine & Publishing Association’s Excellence Awards, 2013 • Second place, Best Magazine Column, 2010 Minnesota SPJ Page One Awards • Bronze award, Best Magazine Column, Minnesota Magazine & Publishing Association’s Excellence Awards, 2011 and 2010 • Third place, Best Magazine Column, 2014 Minnesota SPJ Page One Awards • Finalist, Family Matters Column, Parenting Media Association's 2012 Editorial Competition
Joy has given numerous presentations related to her book-in-progress, Finding My Musical Family:
• June 2018: Book chapter excerpt, Lit Crawl MN, Magers & Quinn Booksellers, Minneapolis, Minn.
• January 2017: Book chapter excerpt, Writers Night, Northfield Public Library, Northfield, Minn.
• January 2017: Book chapter excerpt, Northfield Writers Resist: Hope is Greater Than Fear, Cannon Valley Friends Meetinghouse, Northfield, Minn.
• November 2016: "Get Your Horns, Boys, We’re Starting a Band,” Vintage Band Festival educational event, Northfield Senior Center, Northfield, Minn.,
• July 2016: "Get Your Horns, Boys, We’re Starting a Band,” a 2016 Vintage Band Festival event, Northfield Historical Society, Northfield, Minn.
• June 2016: "Sitting Pretty in a Pretty Little City: the Story of G. Oliver Riggs and His Remarkable Bemidji Boys’ Band,” featured speaker, annual meeting of the Beltrami County Historical Society, Bemidji, Minn.
• November 2015: "Finding My Musical Family,” capstone event for SEMAC grant, Northfield Retirement Community and Northfield Senior Center, Northfield, Minn.
• August 2013: "The Real-Life Tale of a Pioneering Bandmaster,” Historic Brass Society, Early Brass Festival conference, 2013 Vintage Band Festival, Northfield, Minn.
• June 2013: “Tales of a Real-Life Music Man,” Village on the Cannon community room, Northfield, Minn.
• March 2012: “Origins of a Music Man,” brown bag lecture, Iowa Wesleyan College, Mount Pleasant, Iowa.
• November 2010: “G. Oliver Riggs, St. Cloud’s Music Man,” breakfast club presentation, Stearns County History Museum, St. Cloud, Minn.
• June 2010: “G. Oliver Riggs and His Bands,” presentation before the St. Cloud Municipal Band concert in Barden Park, St. Cloud, Minn.
• June 2008: “G. Oliver Riggs, St. Cloud’s Music Man,” a movie presentation shown at G. Oliver Riggs Day, Stearns History Museum, St. Cloud, Minn.
• On a sledding hill, embracing the downward slope of life, Star Tribune, December 25, 2018
• Parenting Young Adults by Cell Phone: A 26-Hour Span in October 2018, BLUNTmoms, November 5, 2018
• How to Launch Your 22-Year-Old Daughter in Seven Days, Grown and Flown, August 27, 2018
• Time Travelers, Writers Night: Community, page 4, June 2018
• Stepping Stones, Topology Magazine, August 2, 2017
• Hoop Dreams of a Younger Sister, Topology Magazine, June 7, 2017
• Interlude, Peacock Journal, March 21, 2017
• Heart Strings, Writers Night: A Sense of Place, page 19, January 2017
• Depths of a Mother’s Love, Great Moments in Parenting, Sept. 16, 2015
• The Art of Parental Embarrassment, Mamalode, Aug. 26, 2015
•The Life Cycle of a Swing Set, Mamalode, Aug. 14, 2015
•Women’s health: Mastectomy now or later? Star Tribune, April 3, 2015
• Disappointment: the Family Vacations Guide, Great Moments in Parenting, June 10, 2015
• Life and Death in the Dressing Room, Mamalode, May 4, 2015
• When Cancer Grows on Family Trees, Minnesota Good Age, May 2012
• Weekend getaway: A day trip to Hastings Star Tribune, Aug. 4, 2012
• Iowa City, Iowa: University town bustles in summer Star Tribune, June 2, 2012
• Des Moines capitalizes on riverfront Star Tribune, April 14, 2012
• Northfield, Minn.: History and arts go hand in hand Star Tribune, March 11, 2012
• Fairmont, Minn.: A Fair City by the Lakes Star Tribune, Oct. 9, 2011
• Sauk Centre, Minn.: Sinclair Lewis’ ‘Main Street’ Star Tribune, June 26, 2011
• A Rebirth for Fergus Falls Star Tribune, May 29, 2011
• Mankato: River City Cloaked in Charm Star Tribune, April 24, 2011
• Historic Charm Lines the Streets of Mantorville Star Tribune, Dec. 25, 2010
• Faribault Brims with New Life Star Tribune, Aug. 22, 2010
• Step back in time in Crookston Star Tribune, July 18, 2010
• A podcast tour of New Ulm, History at Hand, AAA Living, May/June 2009
MINNESOTA PARENT COLUMNS
• Time for a transition! July 2014 • When should teens start touring colleges? June 2014 • Playing it safe in the water May 2014 • Putting the fun back in sports April 2014 • Learning beyond the classroom March 2014 • Stressful times February 2014 • In the driver’s seat January 2014 • Our noisy society December 2013 • It’s a small world after all November 2013 • Building the teacher-parent team October 2013 • Later start is a good start September 2013 • Accentuate the positive August 2013 • Adventures large, small and in be’tween July 2013 •
Islea, Rosalie, and G. Oliver Riggs
Contact me by email at writerjoyriggs [at] gmail [dot] com.